Enrolling your child Employment Maps and Directories
Search Website
Separation Line
Separation Line
Separation Line
Separation Line
Separation Line
Separation Line
Separation Line
Separation Line



Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

  1. My English Language Learnerschild was born here. Can he still receive help from the ELL teacher?
    A student may receive ELL services even if he/she was born in the United States if the student first learned a language other than English and/or comes from a home where a language other than English is usually spoken. The student must qualify for ELL services based on the district’s language assessments.

  2. My child speaks good English. Why is he receiving ELL service?
    Your child might be an advanced level ELL student. Advanced students are often able to speak English well, but they are still learning the English needed to read and write at grade level.

  3. Can I refuse ELL support for my child?
    You may refuse ELL support for your child. You will need to contact your child’s ELL teacher. The ELL teacher will ask you to sign a form.

  4. How long does a student receive ELL service?
    Normally, students will learn to speak English well within 1-3 years. Academic English, the language needed to read, write, and be successful in school, can take 5-10 years to learn. Ongoing evaluation will determine the need for continued support. In general, District 196 ELL students remain in service for fewer years than the state average.

  5. How is a student exited from the ELL Program?
    Assessments and teachers’ observations determine when a student no longer needs support from ELL. When a student scores “proficient” in the reading, writing, and speaking of English on local or state assessments, he/she is monitored or exited from ELL service.

  6. Does the district have bilingual programs?
    The ELL program is taught in English. Although many ELL teachers are bilingual, there are no bilingual programs in the district. There are 60-70 different languages spoken in the homes of District 196 students who attend 28 schools.

  7. Can the district ask for a student’s immigration status?
    No. In 1982, the U.S. Supreme Court ruled in Plyer v. Doe [457 U.S 202 (1982)] that undocumented students have the same right to attend public school as do U.S. citizens and permanent residents. As a result, public schools may not engage in any practices that “chill” or hinder the right or access to school. This includes requiring students or parents to disclose or document their immigration status.


We know you may have many other questions.
If so, please use our feedback form on the ELL home page or ask your child’s ELL teacher.

Untitled Document

Copyright and Privacy information

© Copyright Rosemount - Apple Valley - Eagan Public Schools, 3455 153rd St. W., Rosemount, MN 55068 • 651-423-7700
All Rights Reserved • Copyright Notice | Privacy Statement | Nondiscrimination and Vocational Opportunities Notification

Copyright and Privacy Information