Teaching and Learning
Mission Statement: To provide instructional leadership and support by collaborating with staff in developing, maintaining, and supporting a shared vision of k-12 research based program in curriculum, instruction, assessment, and professional development through a defined structure that maximizes student learning.
Curriculum is the result of the work of the district’s Curriculum Committees, made up of elementary, middle, and high school teachers, administrators, and members of the district Curriculum and Instruction Advisory Council (CIAC). The curriculum defines what the district expects students to know and be able to do at each grade level and in each content area.
District 196 offers a comprehensive core district-wide curriculum. The core curriculum is complemented with a variety of electives and co-curricular opportunities to ensure the students’ academic and social-emotional learning needs are met at each school. Each curriculum area is reviewed and updated regularly to provide students with:
- A high level of skills in math, reading and writing;
- A high level of self-direction;
- An awareness of the arts and a sense of aesthetics;
- High levels of fitness and a lifelong interest in the use of physical skills;
- Insight into individual differences and the ability to work comfortably with different kinds of people;
- A capacity and respect for creativeness, and
- An awareness of our civilization, our heritage, our present and our future.